Friday, March 28, 2008

iPhone: Jailbreak start to finish

While it's still horribly fresh in my mind, various notes about taking your iPhone from a merely interesting toy to a complete, powerful productivity-destroyer:

  • ZiPhone is one-step shopping for jailbreak/installing Installer/getting the best app sources
  • Good sources include AppTapp Official, Ste, NullRiver, BigBoss. Also ModMyiPhone.
  • Conceited Software has w00t stuff, but their server is flaky. I've had to remove them and re-add them. What gives?
  • Thank you: ZiPhone, Erica Sadun, NullRiver, Roz, John B., and others.
  • Things You Should Learn To Do:
    • Reset your iPhone (Settings > General > Reset > Reset all Settings)
    • "Reboot": Home+Sleep for 7 seconds, shut down, Sleep for roughly 3 seconds
    • Restore: ZiPhone to set it back to "normal", then iTunes. Note: the iTunes update servers may be offline. Don't panic.
    • Find Sources: Run Installer, select Sources, Refresh.
    • Add a Source: Installer > Sources > Edit > Add. You'll need to know the URL of the source.
    • Remove a Source: Installer > Sources > Edit > click red circle/line on left, click Delete on right. Alas, I don't know how to restore sources, yet. You may need to remove a source to avoid install problems.
    • GOOGLE SEARCH: Everything I've written here I learned by searching. Don't bother your friends or post to a forum until you've done a Google search.
  • Steps to take:
    • Valium :)
    • Sync iPhone to back up.
    • Install ZiPhone and iphonebrowser on your PC. I don't have a Mac, so I can't help there. Don't have them yet? Where to find them? Remember what I said about Google Search?! 'Nuff said.
    • ZiPhone jailbreak. Yes, you may want to unlock your iPhone. I decided I could live with ATT, having lived with them for several years already. If you're not in the US, I can't help you. I didn't unlock my iPhone; to quote John Cleese: "I may be a fool, but I'm not stupid!"
    • On your iPhone, run Installer. All instructions from now on are on iPhone.
    • Install these key apps. See this blog for more details!:
      • BSD Subsystem
      • BSD Subsystem 2.0 Term fix
      • Community Sources
      • SUID Lib Fix
      • ZiPhone iBrickr fix
    • Install other apps as you like. I can recommend:
      • MobileFinder, MobileTextEdit (thanks Erica)
      • Term-VT100 by Conceited Software
      • Erica's x, a set of utils, etc. by Erica Sadun aka Ste
      • Categories, by BigBoss. Be careful. Most of my experience with iPhone hacking comes from recovering from stupid use of Categories. Read the directions and help first!
      • HP12C, HP15C, HP16C by Thomas Fors. For us former HPers and fans of RPN.
      • SendFile by (who else) Erica Sadun.

No comments: